Just to wrap up what you may find on the mailing list, the easiest would be to use Christian (Gaser) VBM8 toolbox to read raw volumes. Or alternatively use this MATLAB script for calculating the volume for each tissue class image and sum all the results, this was originally posted by Donald (McLaren).

All the best,
Arman

 %GM_volume calculation for example

    V=spm_vol(gm_file);
    Vols = zeros(numel(V),1);

    for j=1:numel(V),

        tot = 0;

        for i=1:V(1).dim(3),

            img = spm_slice_vol(V(j),spm_matrix([0 0 i]),V(j).dim(1:2),0);

            img = img(isfinite(img)); % <-- exclude non-finite values

            tot = tot + sum(img(:));

        end;

        voxvol = abs(det(V(j).mat))/100^3; % volume of a voxel, in litres

        Vols(j) = tot*voxvol;
        gm_volume=Vols(j);

    end