Dear all,

I have a fairly simple question but have got a bit confused with the
different options people have suggested on the mailing list. I want to do
a conjunction analysis and find regions which are common in three
experiments. In my results, I want a heat map that represents the level of
overlap between the three experiments. However, reading through some of
the approaches that people have suggested on the mailing list, I have come
up with more than one ways to do this. I would like to know which approach
is better and would give me correct results:

1. Inclusive masking: I select Results from one experiment, then use
inclusive masking using a thresholded t-map and see the regions common in
the two experiments. Then use this t-map to mask my result from third
experiment. (In this case however, I have found that the regions depend
slightly on which experiments' results you use first and the heat map is
not an indication of extent of overlap)

2. Use Imcalc to mask two t-maps and get the results. (In this case as
well, heat map is not an indication of extent of overlap).

3. Using single contrasts: I take only the single condition contrasts (use
a contrast vector 1 0 0 etc.) for all participants, take it to group level
for all conditions and experiments, then run a random effects analysis on
them (an approach I am not familiar with).

I would highly appreciate any help in this regard.

Atesh Koul
Graduate student,
National Brain Research Centre, India