Hmmm... a criticism of Tillyard, I take it?  I wonder could we have a re-appraisal of Tillyard in one of the SpR's promised "retro-reviews"?  The more I see "cosmic" structural patterns in Shakespeare (and Sp, too) the more I think T's gotten a bad name in the last two generations.  Not that I've been thinking properly (or at all) for more than one.

Because you're reductive doesn't mean you're wrong.  Part of the reason structural patterns are in Shakespeare is because of Spenser, I suspect.  Is Tillyard relevant for Sp Studies?

Regards, --Tom
________________________________
From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Dennis Moore [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a comment by David Miller

"Put Away the World-Picture" is the final chapter of Herbert Howarth's The Tiger's Heart: Eight Essays on Shakespeare (Oxford 1970). I owned the book back then as a student, but that's the only chapter I remember. I haven't seen it for a long time, but it struck me then as an excellent critique of a certain reductive style of historicism.

Dennis Moore