The CMPCP present the final experimental performance workshop in the "Shaping Liveness in Song Performance" series, which is being performed by CMPCP Visiting Fellow, Kathryn Whitney:

"The Mechansim of Liveness: audience expressivity and the shaping of musical content in live vs mediated performance"

Respondents: John Sloboda, Daniel Leech-Wilkinson
Performers: Kathryn Whitney, Chris Hopkins
Research Team: Mats Kuessner, Helen Prior

Tuesday 10 July, 2.00-5.00pm, St Davids Room [first floor, across from chapel], King's College, London (Strand Campus)

We warmly invite you to join us for the final event in our series of experimental performance workshops aimed at learning more about how performers and audiences interact to create musical material in live vs. mediated musical performance.

Research Questions:

- What is "liveness" and what role (if any) might it play in conveying musical material in performance?

- Do audience members act jointly with performers to shape music creatively in performance?

- Does the "live" concert experience matter musically or expressively, and if so, how might we know?

Format:

Part I: Introduction by Kathryn Whitney, followed by two short concerts - one live and one video recorded.
Attendees will be asked to tell us how the live vs mediated performances impacted their experience of the music.

Part II: Short talk on liveness by Kathryn Whitney, with further live performances by Kathryn and Chris Hopkins
The performers will take expressive suggestions from the audience with a view to producing "jointly shaped" live performances with their audience as creative partners.

Part III: Response by John Sloboda and Daniel Leech-Wilkinson, followed by general discussion

We hope you will join us for this stimulating concluding session to our series!

Questions may be addressed to: [log in to unmask]

Directions: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/campuses/strand/StrandCampusLocation.aspx
NB: St Davids Room is on the first floor of the Strand Building, directly across the from the chapel.

Further information on the project: http://songart.co.uk/shapingliveness

All are welcome! The event is free and open to the public.