Leaving aside any business models it is not clear that such free courses are:

1. Educationally effective if attrition rates are so high and if in all probability those that succeed are already educationally advantaged ( how many had no or few previous qualifications)
2. Educationally efficient if attrition rates are so high despite a claimed 1:50,000 tutor:student ratio
3. Educationally efficacious for society if the advantaged benefit but the disadvantaged do not.

If attrition rates are so high for one course what would they be for a whole degree? Would any quality assurance agency or accreditation body deem such levels to be acceptable?

Open and distance teaching universities have struggled with such issues for 40+ years (with some having fees paid for them) and such free courses may survive as informal or non formal adult education but are unlikely to undermine HEIs core regulated credit teaching business

Andy

Sent from my iPad