Hi

He probably picked it up on holiday or eating out somewhere.

Usually in these cases I treat as with any other potential communicable disease (chicken pox etc) and advise on their fitness for work and outlook *(most people fully recover over a few weeks without treatment but will then have a relapse (return) of their symptoms between about 1 and 3 months after their original illness. This is because the infection hadn't cleared completely. This relapse will have similar symptoms to the initial illness. Some people can have a relapse of their symptoms more than once.)

I normally advise re-referral if the employee is not back at work within 2 months of diagnosis.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Hepatitis-A.htm is a good evidence base for your report.

As long as they are not in the food industry (high risk of communicability) which has it;s own guidance then usually no other OH involvement required.

Hope that helps?

Carr