The Koblin piece is beautiful and reveals something about commercial flight paths that is not ordinarily visible. However, I have some problems with it. Firstly, it reveals little, if anything, about the impact (good, bad or indifferent) commercial flight has on the planet and society. Secondly, it would be more interesting if non-commercial flights were factored in - military traffic, of course, but also under-the-radar flights (rendition flights, for example) - which could open up interesting space for reflection about the political and economic purpose of flight and stand as evidence of power relations that are not visible either in the publicly available flight data or in the sky above our heads. Thirdly, as a piece of 'generative' art it belongs to a well defined domain of practice, initially developed by artists like Vera Molnar and Roman Verotsko in the 1960's and 70's and, more recently, revived by a new generation of procedural formalists like Casey Reas. Whilst it is not a requirement that art is always formally and technically inventive it can be argued that new media art is defined by these characteristics. By these criteria Koblin's work seems less than compelling. On the other hand, the work is lovely to watch, evidences a good sense of colour, shape and line and a brevity of means to be admired. In this last respect it comes across as mature and well considered. However, for me, the former criteria are the more important in evaluating the quality of the work. Somebody else will have different criteria and arrive at a different conclusion about the piece. My evaluation is that it is decorative and, due to its conventional character, fails to "open up a whole new world" - it's a world that some are very familiar with.

best

Simon