Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:51:15 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Origin of church towers/minarets
To: [log in to unmask]

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Thomas Izbicki
Sent: 31 July 2012 16:23
To: [log in to unmask]

I've seen a reference in a visitation to the bells of a parish hanging in trees.

However, Westlee had no tower; and Twyford had two bells hanging from trees.[1][1]

Tom Izbicki

From: "Christopher Crockett" <[log in to unmask]>

being blissfully unencumbered by any actual knowledge of the subject, i
wouldn't think that the Bells ==> Towers supposition is valid at all.

Ah but being irredeemably English and a ringer I hold the view that a tower without bells, preferably rung full circle in the English fashion, is a waste of a tower.

somewhere i've seen relatively small timber structures beside churches,
purpose built to hold the bell(s).

There’s a detached wooden campanile at Brookland Kent, and there’s also one at Great Burgholt, Suffolk.  Here the bells were swung using the ringers’ hands, rather than a rope, to rotate the wheel.

Anne

[1][1]  Visitations of Churches belonging to St. Paul's Cathedral, p. xxvi.

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html