medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture On 7/9/2012 10:15 AM, Christopher Crockett wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">i was assigned to research it a bit during my first trip to Paris in the summer of '67
I first visited in 1974, while on a semester abroad in Paris, and was soothed by the feeling of being in a church, after the zoo of Notre-Dame.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">i don't recall it being quite as *vast* as your lens might suggest
Different lenses can be deceiving-- that's one reason why I try to include chairs and people, for scale.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">sexpartite vaults to span a space that is no more than 12 feet or so?
The same is true in many churches, including St-Denis. I get the feeling that shape trumps size.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">i certainly did not know that the "robinia pseudoaccacia tree (American locust)" on the north side of the building http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/StJulien20.jpg was "planted in 1601 or 1602" (kinda early for bringing locust tree seedlings back to Europe, i should think), much less that it is "said to be the oldest tree in Paris." (and, why bother to bring back *locust* seeds -- that tree has no particularly useful fruit and, as far as i know, its only use is to make fence posts, which is difficult to do if you leave the tree growing in your yard.)
Here are more photos, taken by someone more interested in trees than in architecture:
http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/fra/paris/paris/2801_squareviviani/
See also Frederick J. Peabody, "A 350-Year-Old American Legume in Paris," Castanea Vol. 47, No. 1 (Mar., 1982), pp. 99-104. Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4033219
And http://portal.cetadl.bham.ac.uk/msprojects/Botanic%20Garden/robinia.html : " Robinia pseudoacacia The False Acacia was first recorded in Britain in 1636. However, it arrived in France somewhat earlier, in 1601. It is claimed that the “original tree” survived in the famous Jardin des Plantes, Paris until the 1980s. Certainly there are several ancient Robinia’s still left in the city. The one in front of the church Saint-Julien le Pauvre, “the oldest tree in Paris” is said to be one of the original specimens planted by Jean Robin. It was Robin (1550-1629), the renowned herbalist at the court of Henry IV of France, after whom the genus is named."

best,
Genevra