IN NHS England I think, like everything, it depends on the journal;
whether the journal is on the US Prohibited list or not.

Provided that it is permissable to make a copy or scan under the
licence, there is no limit on the making of multiple copies if they are
required for a single occasion (eg a book club). If the article is
scanned, it must be sent to a secure internal (includes nhs.net) email
address.

From the Licence:

4.1 The Licensee must own or, where a Library Service Provider is
providing services to the Licensee, that HEI or other Library Service
Provider must own, an original and/or copyright-fee-paid copy of any
Licensed Material it copies or scans under the terms of the Licence.

4.2 No Licensed Copy shall exceed the greater of 5% of any item of
Licensed Material, or:

(a) In the case of a periodical publication, two (2) whole articles in
any single issue or, where the issue or a substantial part of it is
dedicated to a particular theme, any number of articles dealing with
that particular theme; or

(b) in the case of a published report of judicial proceedings, the
entire report of a single case; or

(c) in the case of a book, one chapter.

4.3 Licensed Copies of the same Licensed Material made for a single
occasion or purpose shall be treated as one copy and Clause 4.2
interpreted accordingly.

I take 4.3 to mean that multiple copies can be made of up to 2 articles
from a single (permitted) issue or as many articles as deired from a
themed (permitted) issue. So, if asked, our library might well make 20
copies of an article for a Journal Club under the Licence.

The key is to check all of your journal subscriptions against the
excluded works & excluded categories and find out if any are excluded.
We have checked ours & even the US-published titles we take can be
scanned or copied under the licence. Of course, even if a US-published
journal may not be scanned or photocopied under the licence, a single
article can still be photocopied by us under Library Privilege
(Copyright Act 1988, and the requester must sign a declaration form) or
by the library user under Fair Dealing (Copyright Act 1988). What they
are not then permitted to do under the Act is to make multiple copies.
However, I can only advise the user that they would be breaking the law
were they to make multiple copies and refuse to make the multiple copies
myself. If they choose to go off and make multiple copies, I can't
actually stop them.

In practice, I have only come up with a problem on a single occasion
when someone wanted us to make multiple copies of an article obtained
from the British Library. I advised them that it was illegal unless they
obtained a copyright-paid copy and they chose a different article for
the Journal Club.

With regard to electronic articles: this will depend upon the licence
you have. The easiest way round it is to send a hyperlink to each person
for them to make their own copy (access via Athens/user name password,
etc). However, I suspect that it might be possible to justify producing
multiple copies of an electronically-accessed article solely if all
recipients could, legally, have printed their own copy of the article,
as you could argue that you are merely acting as an agent on their
behalf. However, I'm not a legal expert & I don't think there's actually
any case law precedent on this topic.

Regards

Tricia Rey
Library Services Manager
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
East Grinstead
Tel: 01342 414266
Mailto:[log in to unmask]