I've always deposited an MS Word copy of my papers in my local repository, together with a PDF copy.  I've done this because I've been told of the importance of preserving the master copy of a resource, rather than a lossy derivative version, such as PDF.  As I've experience in having to recreate an MS Word file from a PDF copy I know this can be a cumbersome process. I assume some authors may prefer to deposit a PDF copy as this may be regarded as providing a form of DRM by making it slightly more difficult to process the file.

What policies and practices do people have in place related to this? A Google search for "Policies on depositing MS Word files" suggests that PDFs are the norm.  Since the MS Office format has been an ISO standard since 2007 I assume the proprietary versus open standard format for deposits argument is not as strong as it was (subject to caveats about support for ISO/IEC 29500 Strict
and the arguments about the validity of the standardisation process which I don't want to go into).

Thanks

Brian

Brian Kelly
Innovation Support Centre, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, UK, BA2 7AY
Phone: 01225 383943
Email: [log in to unmask]
Blog: http://ukwebfocus.wordpress.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/briankelly