Sorry if I'm asking novice questions (but that's what I am), are you most
interested in saving the content or the formatting or both? If the content
is the most important thing to preserve, then why not just save the file as
PDF and archive that as the master so you have a copy with all formatting
intact, but then save a txt for an editable version that maintains content
(assuming you need to edit in the future)? I'm wary of archiving *.DOC/X
files because they may not be readable for the long-term.

--
Christopher Eaker, P.E.
Graduate Research Assistant