Dear all,

Please take note of this AGU session on the deep critical zone. We use "deep" to loosely refer to all aspects of the subsurface but especially welcome contributions that employ drilling and geophysical imaging to explore incipient weathering, ecological colonization, and/or connections between surface and subsurface processes. We expect to host contributions from all critical zone disciplines, including geobiology, hydrology, geochemistry, geomorphology and near-surface geophysics.

If this sounds like a fit with your work, please consider submitting an abstract.

Abstract deadline: August 8th.

Official session description follows:

EP032: The Deep Critical Zone and the Inception of Surface Processes
Surface processes begin deep within the critical zone, often below the soil, where alterations by chemical, physical and biological processes prepare rock for incorporation into life-sustaining regolith. To the extent that surface processes influence as well as depend on deep weathering, there should be exciting feedbacks among landscape evolution, biogeochemical cycling, hydrologic processes and the inception of weathering at depth. We seek contributions that explore linkages between the surface and subsurface for improved understanding of critical zone processes and feedbacks. Interdisciplinary studies that feature drilling, sampling, modeling, and/or geophysical imaging of the deep critical zone are especially encouraged.

Conveners:
Suzanne P Anderson, University of Colorado, [log in to unmask]
Clifford S Riebe, University of Wyoming, [log in to unmask]
W Steven Holbrook, University of Wyoming, [log in to unmask]

Sponsors:
Earth and Planetary Surface Processes (EP); Biogeosciences (B); Cryosphere (C); Near Surface Geophysics (NS)

Clifford Riebe | Dept. Geology & Geophysics | U. Wyoming | Laramie 82071
307 766 3965 | [log in to unmask]http://faculty.gg.uwyo.edu/criebe/website