Dear all

As long time members will be well aware, the reply-to-list setting that this list uses occasionally causes problems when messages that were intended to be private are distributed to all list members. When the use if this setting has been queried I've always put forward the argument that it is a discussion list and so change the setting to reply-to-sender would stifle the discussions that do break out from time to time. Generally, the response from members has been to support leaving the setting as is.

I've been prompted to look a little further into this and have found that there is a setting in the list software that would enable us to take a different approach. It would require that all posters to the list respond to a confirmation email, either by replying "OK" or by clicking on an embedded link. I probably don't need to spell this out but just so that we are clear, the question is -

Are we prepared to accept an additional step in the process of posting to the list so that posters have the opportunity to reconsider whether their message should be distributed to all members?

I await your responses.

John

John S Whalley, Geoscience Programme Manager
List owner - geo-tectonics
  (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/geo-tectonics.html)
Tel +44 23 9284 2247                                Fax +44 23 9284 2244
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, PO1 3QL, UK                Email- [log in to unmask]