Hi
I don't think Jay was thinking of using fdt_paths for registration, but rather using them as statistics for comparison between groups (after using other images for registration, like FA etc.)
I think it is fine to use fdt_paths for statistical comparisons, although they may have some weird spatial properties that tools like TFCE etc. have not been properly tested on.
Other than that, you will need, of course, to do non-parametric inference (e.g. randomise) and you will need to be careful with interpretation.

Saad

--
Saad Jbabdi
University of Oxford, FMRIB Centre