Hi,

There are probably multiple ways to do this, but here's what I recommend
for your first design (I believe yours is rank deficient)

EV1:  1 for G1 Cond1, -1 for G1 Cond2, 0 for all G2
EV2:  1 for G2 Cond1, -1 for G2 Cond2, 0 for all G1
next 20 EV's are the subject-specific means (your S1-S20)

Then the contrast [1 -1 0....0] tests the group differences in the paired
differences (i.e. your interaction effect).

For the second design, I'm extrapolating from what was proposed in this FSL
list email<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1109&L=FSL&D=0&1=FSL&9=A&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4&P=74308>,
which apparently was summarizing from an earlier email you would have:

EV1:  1 for G1 Cond1, -1 for G1 Cond2, 0 for all G2
EV2:  1 for G2 Cond1, -1 for G2 Cond2, 0 for all G1
EV3:  avg estrogen for this subject in G1 Cond1, -1*avg estrogen for this
subject G1 Cond2, 0 for G2
EV4:  avg estrogen for this subject in G2 Cond1, -1*avg estrogen for this
subject G2 Cond2, 0 for G2
EV's 5&6, similar to 3&4, but for progesterone
next 20 EV's are the subject-specific means (your S1-S20)

This will control for whether the within-subject difference is a function
of estrogen or progesterone levels.

Hope that helps!

Jeanette