In my view Evidence Based Practice (EBP) takes into account both the available empirical evidence and also the contextual evidence relating to the particular case (that person at that point in time) including patient characteristics, comorbidities, patient & practitioner values, ethical, legal, policy, resource constraints, relative risks given to various benefits and harms of intervening or not intervening. In combination this leads to (hopefully shared) clinical decision-making. We need to consider both types of evidence – it is not either/or.  See http://fampra.oxfordjournals.org/content/28/2/123.full.pdf+html

My conflict of interest declared: I am Editor of the Journal of Primary Health Care in which Greenhalgh’s editorial is published.

Felicity Goodyear-Smith

Felicity Goodyear-Smith MB ChB MD FRNZCGP

Professor & Goodfellow Postgraduate Chair

Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Primary Health Care

Department of General Practice & Primary Health Care

University of Auckland

PB 92 019 Auckland 1142

New Zealand

Tel DD +64 (0) 9 923 2357