Studying pathways between social and biological factors: can modern methods in causal inference help?

When: Tuesday 11 September 2012
At:  56th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society for Social Medicine, 2012
Where: London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT

Booking: http://www.ssmconference.org.uk/preconf.html
Timetable: http://www.ssmconference.org.uk/docs/HALCyon_SSM_%20programme.pdf
Project: http://pathways.lshtm.ac.uk/
Contact: [log in to unmask]
Twitter: @pathwaysNCRM

In this meeting we will use concepts, tools and methods arising from the causal inference literature (such as counterfactuals, causal diagrams, and the g-formula) to gain insights into the underlying assumptions of traditional methods used to study mediation, and explore more modern methods in which some of these can be relaxed.