First, I put a copy of ISBD in English at:

http://kcoyle.net/temp/isbd2007.pdf

since none is available on the ISBD site. This may be slightly out of
date, but I assume it is sufficient for our purposes. At the time I
pointed folks to pages 21-22 which give a concise map of ISBD areas and
properties.

On 7/11/12 6:35 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> E. The date is preceded by a comma, space (, ).
> G. The place of printing or manufacture, name of the printer or manufacturer and
> date of printing or manufacture (for older monographic resources, when recorded
> as a statement distinct from the publishing statement) are enclosed in one pair
> of parentheses ( ( ) ). Within the parentheses the same punctuation is used as
> in B, C and E.

Gordon, if this is the SES mapping for the ISBD string, then this does
make sense to me. This fits in with the 8 (9?) Area properties, and the
decoding algorithms exist because this is exactly what ISBD was designed
for: decoding of the strings using punctuation.

However, the definition of ISBD in RDF creates properties for the
individual elements within those area strings:

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1957.html
   -- for "hasPlaceOfPublicationProductionDistribution"

and the AP places these within an SES:

<StatementTemplate ID="hasPublicationProductionDistributionEtcArea"
minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" type="nonliteral">
       <Property>http://iflastandards.info/ns/isbd/elements/P1162</Property>
       <!-- Area 4 is an aggregated statement with SES -->
       <NonLiteralConstraint
descriptionTemplateRef="DThasPublicationProductionDistributionEtcArea">

         <ValueStringConstraint>

<SyntaxEncodingScheme>http://iflastandards.info/ns/isbd/elements/C2007</SyntaxEncodingScheme>
         </ValueStringConstraint>
       </NonLiteralConstraint>
     </StatementTemplate>

It's the use of individual properties within an SES, not the use of the
ISBD punctuation within a string, that I find problematic. This would be
analogous to DC BOX. However, I am questioning that one can use ISBD
properties in this way due to the dependence on the order of elements in
the original string.

What would make sense to me would be to create the areas as SES's, and
then have a separate set of areas that are classes with properties for
the individual elements of ISBD as members of those classes.

kc

--
Karen Coyle