As geography has close links to marketing, maybe someone here can anwer this.

We've heard of the subtler / sneakier forms of marketing, such as inertia selling.  Recently examples of a new form of marketing have appeared, contingent upon the Internet; this marketing form is only viable on the Net.  It works with 'desperation' type goods/services, such as slimming aids, or tips on how succeed at job interview.  Stage 1 is an implied promise of a free tip to succeed at slimming/jobhunting, just click on THIS link.  That takes you to a webpage with a furthe rlink.  That takes you to a video whose speil hints at some deep and hidden wisdom that we are, rerally are, just about to tell you, just click on the next link.  That takes you to a fact - free description page that, just click here, and .......eventually you reach a pay credit card page where, of course, you must pay some high amount for what you miight have originally hoped to get for free.  As you've now a) got your hopes up, and b) invested a lot of time and pyschological hope in getting the product/information, your willingness to pay is now probably a lot higher than it was 10 minutes ago at the first click.

This isn't quite inertia selling, anyone got a name for this marketing tactic, or experienced other examples of it?

Hillary Shaw
Newport
Shropshire
www.fooddeserts.org