Brian … thank you for getting back … and yes, what you say about huge areas of common ground is very important, and applies equally to my dispute with the AMEG people.

You make 6 points below and I’ll post my answers in to your text in green.

Go well (Help … I can’t turn this green ink off now!).

Alastair

From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Orr
Sent: 27 July 2012 12:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Global Warming's Terrifying New Math

Hello Alistair,

Just to acknowledge your very full and fair response to my critique of your philosophical position on climate change developments, or to be more precise, my understanding of your philosophical position. I must give myself a pat on the back because it would seem my understanding is not a travesty of the 'real thing', as evidenced in your extended reply. To be less than encouraging, I'm still left with plenty of difficulties, but who says that has to militate against good debate. I think it is pretty obvious that there are huge areas of common ground between us because otherwise the discussion we've started wouldn't have been possible.

It is clear that there many 'sub-texts' lurking under the essential disagreement between us on how seriously should the underlying AMEG contention be taken. I think these sub-texts are important is giving a context for discussing the physical process going on now which we could call "the rapidly deteriorating situation in the Arctic". But it would be a problem keeping all these sub-texts going at the same time.

So, while in no way suggesting I would like to abandon the interesting and challenging 'sub-texts' that have come up, I'm definitely drawn to focusing on trying to ascertain from your good self and other crisis forumers where lies the greatest doubts that "the Arctic is the right tree to be barking up", to use your phraseology.

I hope to come back to you shortly and having a go at putting  you on the spot on this particular question, in the spirit of fair debate, of course.

For the record, and for another time perhaps, as I consider they are sub-servient to the climate change crisis, a quick list of the sub-texts where I disagree with you.

i The sickness of modern society is a reflection of ourselves. I contend we 'accidently' arrived at a system that brain-washes the public to its own needs. "A 'free-market' 1984". The Romans made a good go of it realising how far you can take the public with bread and circuses. But humans have not always made the same error - the ancient Eastern civilisations seem to have made a better job of it - using the same natural material - homo sapiens. (Although they have crumbled in the face of consumerist capitalism.)

I think you make an important point there that we have “accidentally” arrived at this position – and eloquently worded too. I see that auto-brainwashing as an inevitable part of human cultural evolution, and this is part of what gives me hope while lacking optimism. It’s like, we’ve only been on the planet as homo sapiens sapiens for 200,000 years. We’re not yet teenagers relative to many other species. Relating this to Eastern civilisations, this is why I’ve been willing to give the God of the Bible a second look. Read as an historical document, you can see a kind of evolution of God, or at least, of the human understanding and relationship thereto. The God of Abraham who almost required human sacrifice, or of Joshua and Moses who required genocide of the people we would today call Palestinians, softens as the later prophets beat their swords into ploughshares and move through to the full-on nonviolence of the Cross. I find that cultural evolutionary trajectory makes for very interesting theology, and to relate parts of this to climate change, I’d urge having a look at Stefan Skrimshire’s edited collection on climate change and apocalyptic thinking (Future Ethics, Continuum, 2010). Asian religions have their own take on this kind of thing – and while (as with most theology) I do not read it literally, their sense of human history cycling through gold, silver, bronze and iron ages, and periodically restoring, makes for interesting metaphor to reflect on.

ii Spiritualism is a psychic survival mechanism: sold honestly, with that on the bottle, would not get you many takers. And I'm preaching there's unlikely

to be any opportunity for humans to survive unless we take control of the situation.

“Spiritualism” is a misnomer. Spiritualism is a religion based on belief in disincarnate communication practiced by Spiritualists. I am talking about spirituality – the idea, or experience, that physical reality is underpinned by a much greater metaphysical reality, to which the term “God” or its culturally determined equivalents is often applied, and which leads into perception in alternate realms of consciousness.

And yes, when I used the expression “psychic survival mechanism” I knew I was setting myself up as a hostage for fortune, but I decided to leave it on the grounds that I do consider that spirituality is essential for all psychic survival, and if we don’t grow inwardly as well as outwardly, we shrivel up, like a bulb that you leave in the garden shed and forget to plant into soil, and it sprouts, and maybe even puts out a bit of a flower, but in the end it withers because it has no connection to the source that gives life.

For me, spirituality is not about blind belief. I chose many years ago to become a Quaker with an interfaith perspective (a Quaker universalist) because for me, it has to be experiential. I wrote about this recently and gave some scholarly references to research into religious and mystical experience in a paper recently published by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature – you can read it here to avoid my having to repeat the arguments in this email. I also explore the epistemological implications for human ecology in Radical Human Ecology from Ashgate. However, that is one of those £80 academic jobs, so if you or anyone else wants to read my 2 papers there, email me privately and I’ll send them to you.

iii Methadone is/was used to combat the hell of coming off heroin addiction. The challenge is to persuade the patient it is not in his long term interests

to abuse the treatment.

It still is so used and is of similar sickly colour to this typeface I’m using! My concern is that most people are not going to be persuaded, and so we are going to have to face some pretty deep music assuming (as I do) that mainstream climate change is correct. If geoengineering is applied, the question would be whether the world would simultaneously be willing to put the breaks on consumption. It may be an academic question, because if things got that bad, and the oceans acidified to levels that led to a collapse in marine life, then human carrying capacity may be curbed perforce in any case and with it, probably, gross consumption levels.

iv How do you get through to a drug addict? Put the fear of God into them? "In three years you'll be dying in the most horrible circumstances"? People don't talk about climate change now, but the 'weird weather' has caused a lot of comment: while I'm not advocating "Arctic methane" should be used as a bogey-man, if it can be shown to be a 'civilisation-changing threat' then consumerism/"business as usual" might not look so appealing any more.

I do not believe in the “fear of God” as a motivating force for authentic spiritual unfolding. For me, and for many others, the spiritual journey is a gradual, though punctuated, unfolding of consciousness into a very beautiful sense of being held, and of moving in a universe that is fundamentally the manifestation of love. However, what happens is that love also makes us care deeply, and that care can work out in frustration, and so religious people can be very bad at undermining their own foundations. I sat for an hour last night with an addict here in Govan who has been in and out of prison and is struggling to make sense of his life. He does not so much as own a Bible still less read one, and is only dimly aware of other spiritual traditions, but there is something going on inside that man that is hungry for depth, and I came away feeling humbled by the journey he is on. He is in no doubt that it is a spiritual journey. I have heard addicts speak of their addiction as “self-medication for a spiritual problem.” My sense of climate change is that we need to wake up, individually and collectively, to the nature of our problem – what drives our collective consumerism beyond the consumption levels necessary for dignified sufficiency in life – and then deepen into an alternative pattern of being human that reduces impact on the Earth. However, in saying that, I must concede that I am also a part of the problem. I also enjoy my own forms of consumerism and feel ill-motivated to shift. This is a large part of the reason why I cannot go along with simply blaming the governments and the corporations. For me at least, the problem is much closer to home.

One of the things that spiritual insight from many traditions teaches is that sometimes things don’t start to shift until we accept our position, and see our suffering more clearly, and (this is a challenging one) see that we are not going to be able to “fix” our problem by an act of ego will alone. To live differently we need what theologians call “metanoia” – a complete transformation of heart. There is much that could be said about that, but I lack the time, and you probably lack the time for me to indulge much further!

v Ocean acidification is going to have to be sorted out 'artificially' somehow: there's an awful lot of CO2 hanging about for an awful long time, just to be lived with.

Well, yes, but you’re talking about an awful huge volume of acid to be “sorted out artificially”! I was in conversation with Paul Kingsnorth (Dark Mountain and former Ecologist editor) the other day, and he was saying that part of our present dilemma is that we think we ought to have the fixes for everything, but we don’t, and we find that so hard to accept because of how it conflicts with our narrative of progress.

I was also comparing notes with a friend who had been to Wounded Knee and couldn’t get over how the “Indians” just sit around on the reservation all day, and refuse to set up visitor centres, and coffee shops, and all the rest to make a killing from the tourists. She couldn’t see why they just don’t buy into the western way, which has self-evidently “won”. But has it? Have we “won” if the cost of our progress turns out to be catastrophic climate change? Or nuclear war? Or come what may? Personally, I do believe in “progress”, but with heavy qualifications. I think  that Plato had it spot on in what he wrote about the apocryphal Atlanteans – that they had all the gee-whiz technology, but they forgot the gods (I discuss Plato’s view on prehistoric climate change at length in Hell and High Water).

vi We have to be particularly scrupulous when dealing with the more alarming insights from climate change research because of the contrarians. If governments who are backed by a huge army of governmental and academic scientists have to toady to a few 'self-important' contrarians then God help us.

I’m sorry but I don’t quite get your point about the governments here, but yes, I think we do have to be scrupulous about the science. Our views on climate change or any other meta structure of reality are made up partly of science (empirical data) and partly of belief systems. The lessons of perceptual psychology are not to be lost on us here – experiments like the Asch Paradigm Test being a case in point, as with so much of the work on conformity, compliance and obedience.  This is why, whether it is a question of climate change, God or what’s in my bank account, I am in favour of constant reality testing. My view is that climate change is happening, that it is likely to be largely anthropogenic, and that it is serious. However, that view has, since 2009, not been winning the political battles. Powerful contrarian forces have used real or apparent cracks in scientific rigour to provide the seeds of both honest and dishonest doubt. This is why we must be whiter than white. My God … let me out of here …. science is almost as bad as joining a religion!

I hope to have familiarised myself with your book, via the PDF you kindly sent me, before I next get back to you.

Thank you, and look, I’ve put too much energy into this forum the past 3 days. I hope that people will not be offended if I ease off answering future responses in such depth, but thank you for eliciting these questions. If you’re at the Crisis Forum event in London on 17th November, I’ll buy you a dram if you remind me.

(I chose this green ink to avoid any perceived implications of red, but I’m really wondering if it was a good idea! For those who might be too young to remember old-style newspaper parlance, a “green ink letter” is the name editors used to give to letter writers who’d hammer on about pet themes, usually with lots of underlining, lots of exclamation marks and BLOCK CAPS, and often with ink of a lurid colour, thus it was basically shorthand for “crank”!!!)

Go well, Alastair

In the meantime,

Best regards,

Brian