Hi Kevin et al

Here’s what seems to be a recent and balanced article by Fred Pearce on the isostatic aspects of this – not just sea level, but also glaciers, and I’d also wonder about water table loading … the relevant literature here would be that on seismic activity surrounding hydro dams.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/could_a_changing_climate_set_off_volcanoes_and_quakes/2525/

Can’t remember where I read the journal paper about warming oceans and lubricant effects on earthquakes, but here is a link on rock water as a lubricant. This is also one to watch in the fracking debate:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111130142245.htm

… and here is one that refers to water temperature effects, but it is a blog and not a PR paper …. though with fascinating data link on the increasing strength of earthquakes globally:

http://www.roperld.com/science/EarthquakesGW.htm

It’s not just the lubricant effect to which I referred, it is also that warmer water and land temps means expansion of the Earth’s crust, and that may be a factor in tectonic stability, though I’m not qualified to comment on how sensitive that might be.

Interesting discussion here on current US freak weather:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/06/30/509246/nbc-meteorologist-on-record-heat-wave-if-we-didnt-have-global-warming-we-wouldnt-see-this/

I get the general sense that the contrarians/denialists are playing it rather quiet at the moment. Certainly, in the talks I give I’ve noted less scepticism than there was post Cop15 (2009), where contrarianism had started to become a spectator sport and absorbed time that was intended for discussing issues more consistent with the consensus mainstream science.

Alastair.