Hi Mark,

Just a few words then about what I've been doing...

I've always liked science, and have kept up all branches science through avid reading of the Scientific American.  But I found myself after University in an engineering job developing computers, computer electronics and computer software - so it was application of science.  What I learnt was to take a systems approach and follow trends.  This has been invaluable since retiring a few years ago, when I started to concern myself over the science of global warming.  There seemed to be (and still seems to be) a lack of understanding in the climate science community about positive feedback - a common phenomenon in electronics.  If one looks at the control of the planet's environment as a system, the "Earth System", then once can see that our planet has an exquisite mechanism in place for controlling and modulating the temperature involving amplification of Milankovitch cyclic signals [1] through the Gulf Stream, North Atlantic Current and the Arctic sea ice, but, most importantly, with negative feedback through meltwater to divert those currents southwards and away from the Arctic.  As any electronics engineer will tell you, negative feedback is crucial to achieve stable amplification.

Thus I see the basic problem facing our continued existence on this planet as an engineering problem, where the basic mechanism has been disrupted by the heat-energy forcing produced by a colossal pulse of the greenhouse gas, CO2.  The warming signal has been amplified by the same mechanism of the Earth System that deals with Milankovitch signals!  However there's no negative feedback to keep the system stable, so the amplification is running wild.

We now have very strong positive feedback in the Arctic, because of the sea ice melting and exposing more water to sunshine causing further melting in a vicious cycle.  This positive feedback was ignored by IPCC in their 2007 report, AR4.  It  may even be ignored in their AR5 report, though by the time this comes out, the sea ice extent may have collapsed, and everybody will know we are in an emergency.

On top of the sea ice problem is the threat of methane from terrestrial permafrost as the whole Arctic warms.  But, in the last few years, there have been growing signs of escalating methane emissions from the Arctic seabed, especially north of Siberia.  This makes the risk of methane feedback extremely high/grave, where the greenhouse effect of the methane leads to further Arctic warming and further methane emissions, in an unstoppable cycle producing abrupt and catastrophic climate change.

In trying to get action to avert disaster, a group of us wrote letters to key figures: the IPCC chairman, the ex-chairman, and various scientific advisers, without any real breakthrough in acceptance of either the danger or the means to avoid it.  Then, last year, after a workshop on how to deal with the deteriorating Arctic situation, we set up the Arctic Methane Emergency Group, AMEG, as a campaign group for action.  Recently we have been directing our attention at the UK government through the Environment Audit Committee, at which we gave evidence in their inquiry "Protecting the Arctic" [2].

BTW, our latest contribution, a plea for rapid government action, has only just been published [3], and should appear shortly on our web site [4] under "latest developments".

Cheers,

John

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

[2] http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmenvaud/writev/171/contents.htm