From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Smith
Sent: 12 July 2012 08:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: LA Officer opinions wanted....

Dear All,

I think these exchanges have been very interesting. They reveal the sloppy drafting and confusion on the part of Defra.

I think it important to remember that Part IIA is only about statutory "contaminated land" and not contamination in a wider context.

Should this Defra statement really read:

This section recognises that it is never possible to know the exact contamination status of any land with absolute certainty but states that such a lack of certainty should not stop the authority from deciding that land is not "Contaminated Land" (rather than the  "land is not contaminated" in the original.

This may be viable under Part IIA but I would not want to be the person in court defending a decision that "land is not contaminated" without proper justification and caveats regarding probability, based on present evidence etc. All professionals have a "duty of care". To make a statement ("this is land is not contaminated") knowing that it may not be true, would be a breach of that duty of care and just plain stupid. Think about justifying it to a complainant's QC, or even the local government Ombudsman.

Regards,

Mike Smith

M A Smith Environmental Consultancy
Farthing Hill