Norman,

the value of free-R alone doesn't tell a whole lot, though the numbers you
quote seem good given the resolution. What's Rwork?
The behavior of free-R you tell is also totally expected: in rigid-body
refinement there are way less refinable parameters!
Most likely you should proceed with individual coordinate refinement, may
be using SA.
If you send me the input model and data files (off-list of course!), I
might be able to suggest the optimal refinement strategy.

Pavel