Chris/Brian

One of the (many) depressing things about getting old is that you realise that the language which has meaning and value to you no longer has currency.  The term rubric is a concise term used by academics to describe the requirements and performance standards of an assessment.

Writing clear concise rubrics for assessment is very important - from this briefs developing the criteria for guidance to students can be made - but there must be  a concise rubric to start from.

Could for the purpose of humour I could suggest that we stop using the terms Bytes and Kilobyte  in preference for the terms small countithing and big countithing - but that would be silly.

Sorry summer holidays start next week.

Peter

P. Waterhouse. MA, FHEA
Senior Lecturer; Faculty of Business
University of Bedfordshire
Room B1.07
Polhill Avenue
Bedford, MK41 9EA

Tel:+44  (0) 1234 793198 (Internal 4198)
Website: MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "www.equerry.co.uk" claiming to be www.equerry.co.uk

"Rational people adjust to their environment, irrational people try to change the environment. So all progress relies on irrational people"
Disclaimer: This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University of Bedfordshire.

>>> "Boon, Chris" <[log in to unmask]> 7/18/2012 5:33 PM >>>
Hi Brian,

That's a very interesting point; our tutors like the rubrics, but said exactly the same thing - nice tool, but unintuitive name - what does Rubric mean?  We've steered away from language pack changes so far due to the complexities when upgrading, but this does seem like a good idea.  Perhaps a name involving 'assessment criteria' or 'criteria checklist' would be good?

Chris Boon
SENIOR ILT ANALYST
I.T. SERVICES
City College Norwich

Tel +44 (0)1603 773659
http://www.ccn.ac.uk

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.