From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steven Davies
Sent: 05 July 2012 13:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Highly recommended - "Unsolicited advice for new archivists"

I'm sure many of us, myself included, will have encountered both sides of the coin:

-Coming new into a workplace and being told "we have a certain [outdated?] way of working" and not being listened to, frustrating when you can see there are more efficient ways of doing things.

-On the other hand, having people come on e.g. work experience, who start telling you how you should be doing your job and making unworkable suggestions, without being willing to learn how things work in the first instance.

I guess the solution, as said, is knowing how, when and to whom to pitch your ideas to get them across and put into practice (while being diplomatic about it!)

PS - what is YMMV?

Steven Davies
Archivist / Archifydd
Flintshire Record Office / Archifdy Sir y Fflint
Tel./Ffôn: (01244) 532414

"Taylor, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Archivists, conservators and records managers." <[log in to unmask]>

05/07/2012 11:54

Please respond to
"Taylor, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Fax to

Subject

Re: Highly recommended - "Unsolicited advice for new archivists"

Hmmm.  Well, as I said, I don’t agree with all of it, and no-one else will either.  But debate is good.  I obviously don’t know Craig’s experiences in this.

I personally can’t say that in 24 years I’ve noticed a climate of fear (real or imaginary) in archives.  What I have noticed, repeatedly, is people who can’t work out that there are many different ways of getting your ideas across to different audiences and to different hierarchies, and that you need to choose the most appropriate one and/or the one with the highest chance of success in the circumstances.   Which involves an understanding of where your target audience might be coming from, including their fears, prejudices, and areas of ignorance.

YMMV, as they say in the USA.

Richard Taylor BA MArAd | Archives & Local History Development Manager
City of York Council | Libraries & Heritage
18 Back Swinegate | York YO1 8ZD

Re: Highly recommended - "Unsolicited advice for new archivists"

I recommend that wannabe archivists exercise the utmost caution when taking initiative as a student worker, intern, or paraprofessional. While this is often considered a “positive” attribute, they need to be aware of how their actions might be perceived by the professionals…. they should be very aware of anything they do or say which might be interpreted as disrespectful or undermining. Be very conscious of which channels are appropriate for sharing ideas, brainstorming, and initiating projects. Intentions are a lot less important than perceptions”

*Sigh*

This (in my experience wholly unjustified) attitude of fear is what stops anyone, saying anything halfway interesting in this field.

Best wishes.

Craig Alexander Moore