Dear Colleagues

ARA is developing a Framework of Competencies for archivists, records
managers and conservators.

A Framework of Competencies is defined as a 'comprehensive overarching
specification of performance that sets out the skills and knowledge required
at all levels in order to operate effectively in the workplace'.

The aim of the Framework is to support CPD for ARA members and is expected
to help individuals, managers and organisations to identify and develop the
skills and knowledge necessary in order to be able to operate effectively
across a spectrum of workforce activities throughout a career. It also
reflects ARA's aspiration to empower improvement in its members' performance
and act as a benchmark for comparison with sister professions.

During the early part of this project I have visited a number of regions to
discuss the Framework and to circulate a questionnaire in order to get
members' views.  To date I have had approximately 80 responses which have
contributed hugely to informing my thinking about how to develop it further.

In order to give everyone an opportunity to have their say the questionnaire
is now available on survey monkey.  There are only 10 questions but your
solicited! I am particularly looking for responses from records managers and
conservators as these are under represented at the moment. It is available
at  <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ARACompetencies>
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ARACompetencies

Before completing the questionnaire you may find it useful to look at my
powerpoint presentation as it gives some background information that you
might find useful.  This is available on the ARA website at
<http://www.archives.org.uk/latest-news/big-vision-cpd-work-underway.html>
http://www.archives.org.uk/latest-news/big-vision-cpd-work-underway.html

Many thanks

Caroline Williams

Caroline Williams, BA, RMARA

Independent Archival Consultant

Senior Research Fellow, University of Liverpool

Visiting Professor, Liverpool John Moores University

President, Archives and Records Association