Wendy,

Bristol was a very active port handling a number of goods and it might be useful to check the type of goods being sent from there in the mediaeval period to the Continent.  I seem to recall port fees data being kept on the subject that could be helpful.

Bea

Beatrice Hopkinson, Hon. Secretary
LA Branch, Oxford University Society,
President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust,
Board, American Institute of Archaeology,
Affiliate, Cotson Institute