Dear Tina,
I have seen several of these kinds of molds in Cyprus, and I worked with one that is very close to yours from the site of Politiko-Troulia in the Troodos mountains.  There was clear evidence it was used repeatedly for casting, and was eventually discarded only when it was broken.  Limestone has problems, but does have the advantage of being abundant and very easy to work with simple tools, and might give a chemical advantage as heating limestone causes it to emit a small amount of carbon dioxide. I am wondering if this may slightly mitigate some of the problems associated with casting in an open mold, which I have personally found to be trickier than one would imagine.
Hope that helps,
Christopher Papalas

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Tina Köster <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear all,
I tried again with posting pictures of the stone mould:

Sincerely,
Tina

From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Bastian Asmus
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Stone mould

Tina,
The links do not work, which makes it difficult for us (:

Where the moulds found in a workshop context, or in a foundry area context? You do write they were found in ash layers with no metallic traces. No metallic traces on the mould, or no metallic traces/droplets in the ash?

I am not able to give you references, but some thoughts which might be helpful, but if the material is indeed limestone, then this is technologically not the first choice, because of its properties.
I could imagine that they were used for the production of wax models. It is quite an effective way to mass produce models form wet limestone.

Would it be possible to have a closer look on the surface, e.g. with a stereomicroscope and show us a few pictures of those. At this stage there is no need to do SEM or XRF analyses. I think a thorough documentation and description might highlight a few things. If limestone has seen a extreme heat, there should be traces visible macroscopically.

By the way, if the find should reside in Tübingen, I'd be very happy to have a look at it, since I am in Tübingen on a regular basis. Contact me off-list should you be interested.

Best wishes,
Bastian