Dear All

I’m often interested by this type of question/discussion and I feel that as a sector we’re not always clear enough in articulating our needs to HEFCE/HESA. I think that’s because we don’t often talk about what we do with these outputs, and so we don’t have a collective knowledge. I don’t know how useful it will be in respect of the original question, but I’ll throw out there what we do.

For the HESA and HESES re-creation, we’re largely cutting HEFCE’s outputs out of the loop altogether. We can upload HESA Student xml files into table in our database and have routines to calculate many of the derived fields (both funding specific and PI related). Using Reporting Services, we can then produce HESES re-creations or other derived data (such as HESA PIs and league table data, though much of this is still theoretical). This process doesn’t give us any more than we get from HEFCE/HESA, but it does mean we get it much earlier; we produce HESA data each night, so we have all the derived data from the day after the student registers (we still have all the cleansing to do in due course, of course!).

What we need from HEFCE/HESA to do this is a timely release of their technical documentation; what we find is we’re often using last year’s algorithms on this year’s data (or writing our own algorithms where necessary).

Where we do want to use data provided in an Excel or CSV format, we use Integration Services to upload the data into our reporting database. We can then report from there. The current example is the KIS output, which we’ve used to give our departments a preview of their KISs very much as we expect them to look ‘for real’, but several weeks prior to the previews from Unistats. The main problem here, as mentioned below, was the significant and unannounced change to the structure of the workbooks a couple of weeks ago; although the amount of work this created was only about half a day, the fact that it came without warning was problematic. All-in-all though, I’d highly recommend investigating using Integration Services and Reporting Services for this kind of thing. Both are probably already included in your institutions’ Microsoft software licensing package, talk to you MI or database people.

Any other thoughts or suggestions will be received with interest (particularly those who are already using/testing some of the new features in Excel 2010) ; I do occasionally bend the ears of people at HEFCE (usually in a nice way) about how I think things should work and it’s handy to be able to cite a broader consensus when doing so!

I wonder if it would be worth trying to expand on this discussion in a session at a conference somewhere?

Ray

Ray Lashley (Dr.)

Senior Planning Officer

Planning Office