I'm all for envisaging every eventuality, but I think thios goes a bit too far . . .

Best wishes

David

The diary is a sucker for a good coding story, so it was delighted to read a blog post from the US research organisation KLAS about the new ICD-10 codes. That's the 140,000 ICD-10 codes that will come into force across the pond in October 2014. "In our opinion, meaningful use [the unbelievably complicated set of rules for unlocking Federal cash for implementing electronic patient records] will be a cakewalk compared to ICD-10," says an unnamed provider.

Still, the codes will be very useful for highly specific events. V91.07XA, for example: "burn due to water skis on fire." Which is the sort of thing that inner-city A&E departments have to deal with every day. Perhaps more useful for the NHS, given the number of mutant turtles that seem to live in council parks, would be W5922XA: "struck by turtle, initial encounter."

[Courtesy of EHI Insider]
This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk