And that is exactly why I love the OED.  Thanks for sharing this with all of us.  And I'm heading straight over to Google Books to see if I can track down a copy of this novel.

Erica

-----Original Message-----
From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Daniel Harms
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] the astral

Chas,

The first reference in the Oxford English Dictionary is as follows:

1887   Mohammed Benani ii. xxi. 215   Alas! to have so nearly attained the possibility of astral projection... I might possibly have flown to Helena, soothed Ludwig's burning brow.., and swept aside the veil which wraps Eftomah's fate in impenetrable mystery.

Apparently the reference is to a novel, of which Mohammed Benani is both title and author.

Sincerely,

Dan Harms
Bibliographer and Instructional Services Librarian SUNY Cortland Memorial Library
(607)-753-4042