Dear all,

Please find through this link<http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/bonecommons/items/show/1850> at BoneCommons of a large, unworn, and well-preserved canine (I believe) from a mid- to late-colonial African slave structure in northern Virginia, USA. The assemblage dates to roughly the 1740s at this site, situated near the Potomac River near present-day Alexandria, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and George Washington's Mount Vernon estate.

The tooth measures roughly 12.2 mm in length and 6.5 mm in width, with a total height from the well-preserved base of the root to the crown of 30.6. I've sent some photos out to a large zooarchaeology lab, as well as spending some time with the collections at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, but have yet to pin down the origin of this tooth. The rest of the assemblage is standard fair for the mid-Atlantic coastal plain during this period: domestic livestock, white-tailed deer, poultry, small-game mammals, fresh-water fish, and oysters. This tooth is decidedly not from domestic ungulates or deer, yet its size is intriguing.

I apologize for the fidelity of the photos, but would welcome any comments or suggestions!

Again, the BoneCommons page is:

http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/bonecommons/items/show/1850

Cheers,
Kevin