Hi everyone,
I have a collection of sheep remains from nearly 80 individuals, all modern and from the Old World. They have been sitting in an attic for 30 years and were never fully cleaned, which has resulted in quite a foul smelling mess. We are trying to clean them up in order to repackage them, but are unsure the best way to go about it. We have tried washing them in a mixture of water and both liquid and powder detergent, but despite the improvement in cleanliness, the smell persists. Does anyone have any suggestions on what over-the-counter products to use in order to clean these up a bit and hopefully remove the smell? We would prefer alternate methods to bleach.

Here is a link to some pictures: http://zooarchaeology.ning.com/photo/albums/cleaning-sheep-bones

Many many thanks,
Katelyn J Bishop