This might be of interest:

UN to survey gender sensitivity of science policies

Miæo Tataloviæ, BA (Oxon), MPhil (Cantab), MSc & DIC (Imperial)

http://twitter.com/mtatalovic

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:30:41 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Female role model research
To: [log in to unmask]

You mean demonstrate the natural diversity of woman and scientist?  It's a radical departure. ;)

I've recently been chatting with some people about the pink thing (prompted by a monstrous display from the Early Learning Centre - a pink street of pop up tent boutiques, bakeries and sweet shops) and wondered if making pink labs, pink barrister dress-up, etc would challenge this awful gender stereotyping (or rather gender limiting); fighting pink with pink.  This seems to link a little.  Does the 'pink' scientist sell science to girls?  Perhaps not based on this blog.  Or perhaps this is age dependent.  I don't recall where we stand on the timing of the female exodus from science, is it primary or secondary?  Perhaps the girly pink scientist might sell to young people (Nina from Nina and the Neurons has bunches and is quite feminine) but a more realistic approach is needed for teens?  I wonder.

I've no case in point, I had no scientist role models influencing my decision to go into science, male or female, girly or otherwise.

Pam