Jacques,

On Jun 15, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Jacques Giard wrote:
> As for me, the use of the Balinese saying (which I fully recognize is a
> kind of cliché and most likely without evidence to support it) is my way
> of stating that perhaps we need to look at what creates cohesion rather
> than what divides us.

I've always interpreted the (presumably apocryphal) response to mean that art (or Art) is a cultural construct and they don't happen to have that construct. We could discuss whether "Art" is a valuable construct but "everything we do the best we can" strikes me as not a particularly useful definition of much of anything.

At this point, I'm not sure what advantages and disadvantages there are to parsing design specialties compared to divvying up design/not design. Specialization (in universities and otherwise) is the proverbial double edged sword. It pushes us toward excellence and narrow irrelevance. An absence of specialization pushes us toward mediocrity and holistic muddle.

I'm quite curious about Fil's
> if you remove all the domain-specific knowledge, whatever's left is process knowledge that seems to be quite consistent across domains.

I'll wait to see what that is rather than speculating as to whether the difference of this bit of subtraction is in any way central to designers who work in the specific domains or to the nature of the domains. I'm quite suspicious of the very idea of design that doesn't include designing so I'm interested in how this description plays out. (Fil--I hope you plan on sharing it with us.)

Gunnar
----------
Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University