> It's a really nasty piece of rhetoric.

I'd agree, but many of the observations in the article reflect patterns that
run much deeper in users' thinking and behavior, whether they're cognitive
biases, consistently false mental models of how the computer works, or
perhaps the most interesting and puzzling, one or more forms of
anthropomorphism. I would go so far as to suggest that anthropomorphism is
central, not incidental, to everyday interaction with computers. If we get
away from understanding this as superstition (which implies false beliefs
that merely need to be corrected), these patterns might lead to, in Terry's
words, a "foundation" for user behavior in general.

Linnda Caporael has written several papers on anthropomorphism, some of them
addressing machines. If anyone has citations on similar topics, I'd be
interested.

Caporael, L. R. (1986). Anthropomorphism and mechanomorphism: Two faces of
the human machine. Computers in Human Behavior, 2, 215-234.
http://homepages.rpi.edu/~caporl/home/Notes_files/Anthropomorphism.PDF

Dan Zollman