Hi,

I was just wondering if I could put some questions to you...

I currently work for a College and we have a Driving and Vehicle Policy
that requires all staff who drive on College business to be authorised
by their manager to do so.  We have fleet vehicles (FLTs, mini-buses,
vans, pool cars) and staff also use their own vehicles.  The
authorisation process starts with the member of staff who needs to drive
completing a three question health questionnaire which is assessed by
Occupational Health with any applicable restrictions/ modifications
passed back to them and their manager for action as appropriate (those
who drive FLTs have a further FLT health assessment).  Once the
assessment is complete the manager must then check all the relevant
licenses (and paperwork if own vehicle) and sign an "authorisation
form".  In response to user feedback over the last couple of years we
developed a replicate web based system, named ROAD (I know very
imaginative!).

Once a member of staff logs into ROAD they complete the health
assessment (same 3 questions) to confirm fitness to drive in the first
instance and managers then authorise their staff to drive, confirming
that they have seen and checked a drivers documents e.g. licence,
insurance. ROAD links to HR data, auto populates and controls drivers
and managers details, makes use of in built workflow and automatic email
triggers to help simplify the process and speed up approval.

So after the waffle to the questions...

*         Do you have similar system in place in your workplace?

*         Is it paper-based or web-based?

*         If web-based- is it well used/ well adhered to?

*         Do you have a fuller health assessment?

Kind Regards,

Louise Newsham

Occupational Health Technician

Email from Bradford College is subject to a disclaimer, the full
contents of which are available for viewing at the following link:
http://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer.htm

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: