Recently I  had some advice that I had apparently given quoted back at me - the individual had asked me a hypothetical question about a health issue as I was getting into my car to drive home, I  gave a 3 word answer, she then quoted it back, with embellishment at a subsequent disciplinary as mitigation.

the moral of  the story is - no referral, no opinion. The original issue in the first mail in this thread is a good example of why you should not respond to "lurkers", the man needs to be told we are not the health police....

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 07 June 2012 13:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Lurking referrals!

I totally concur with this approach, Carr. It is too easy to get into very hot water by giving ad hoc advice.

I had one very difficult encounter with a client a couple of months into my first OH post. I won’t go into details except to say I didn’t make the same mistake twice. On reflecting on the experience immediately afterwards -  the difficulties I experienced were purely the result of not having followed the formal referral process.

Anne Harriss
Course Director
LONDON SOUTH BANK UNIVERSITY