---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Julia Huscher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Jun 27, 2012 11:14 AM
Subject: [HEAL Climate] INFO How is Diabetes related to climate change?
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Dear readers,****

I forward you an email from IDF, the International Diabetes Federation. The
summary of the report is attached. The original report (5MB) is available
here <http://www.idf.org/diabetes-and-climate-change>.****

Regards****

Julia****

** **

*From:* Ann Keeling ****

Dear Friends,****

** **

As world leaders meet in Rio de Janerio for the UN Conference on
Sustainable Development (Rio+20), I am proud to launch the International
Diabetes Federation’s *Diabetes and Climate Change Report. *

* *

The *Diabetes and Climate Change Report *establishes the interconnections
between these two urgent global risks. *It explores the shared global
vectors of rapid urbanisation, changing population trends, and the
globalised food system, and establishes the co-benefits of combating
diabetes and climate change together.* Greater policy alignment in the
global response could provide ‘win-win’ opportunities to mitigate climate
change and risk of type 2 diabetes simultaneously. ****

** **

We are launching the *Report *at an NCD Alliance ‘Next Generation Living’
Rio+20 side-event today, co-hosted with other partners. Our *Report* serves
to strengthen the interface between people, health and the environment at
this high level event, which will explore how preventing NCDs is crucial to
enable sustainable development for present and future generations. High
priority has been accorded to health and NCDs at Rio+20, with governments
recognising that health is a precondition of, indicator for and an outcome
of sustainable development. We now need to work together to translate this
recognition into action and ensure the post-2015 development agenda secures
a healthy and sustainable future for all. ****

** **

I wish to thank our expert advisory group – Dr Fiona Adshead, Sir George
Alleyne, Associate Professor Ruth Colagiuri, Sir Michael Marmot, Professor
Anthony McMichael and Professor Hugh Montgomery – for their invaluable
contributions to this project. And to Bupa for their support. I encourage
you to share the attached *Diabetes and Climate Change Report* within your
networks and look forward to our future collaboration on this agenda.  ****

** **

With kind regards,****

** **