Cartographica new listerv posting

Cartographica: The International Journal for Geographic Information and Geovisualization

Volume 47, Number 2, Summer 2012

Indigenous Cartographies and Counter-Mapping

http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/xt2118565762/

This issue contains:

Introduction: Indigenous Cartographies and Counter-Mapping

Renee Pualani Louis, Jay T. Johnson, Albertus Hadi Pramono

http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/57402105u7715539/?p=9c926988f5ed4253a52ef2ac0781e641&pi=0

DOI: 10.3138/carto.47.2.77

Theorizing Indigital Geographic Information Networks

Mark Palmer

In this article, I argue that in North America, 500 years of cartographic encounters and translations have transformed Indigenous map-making and geospatial technology processes into an amalgam of knowledge systems, science, and technology. To do this I first review the processes of map-making that have been shaped by continual cartographic encounters, exchanges, and translations between American Indians and Euro-Americans. Dichotomies between Indigenous–traditional and Western–scientific are prevalent within the literature, but the boundaries between geographic knowledge systems have always been fuzzy and crossable. This review includes some processes strongly shaped by Indigenous communities, such as ethnocartography and counter-mapping in Alaska and Canada, and GIS processes controlled more by government institutions in the lower 48 US states. Second, I introduce the tenets of a new model – indigital geographic information networks (iGIN) – to describe the heterogeneous processes of encounters, exchanges, and translations merging Indigenous, scientific, and digital technologies into inclusive forms of technoscience. Third, I demonstrate iGIN processes through exploratory research at the university level, using Kiowa-language narratives and network GIS to create a new “third” construct. Finally, following brief concluding remarks, I propose future research directions.

http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/w469188533773574/?p=9c926988f5ed4253a52ef2ac0781e641&pi=1

DOI: 10.3138/carto.47.2.80

Mapping Indigenous Perspectives in the Making of the Cybercartographic Atlas of the Lake Huron Treaty Relationship Process: A Performative Approach in a Reconciliation Context

Stephanie Pyne, D.R. Fraser Taylor

This article discusses a two-pronged approach to designing and developing an online, interactive multimedia – cybercartographic – atlas that combines critical academic perspectives with Anishinaabe approaches to understanding in order to “tell the story” of the Robinson Huron Treaty process in a way intended to enhance awareness of Anishinaabe perspectives and expose the epistemological and ontological roots of colonialism. Building on the work that created the Treaties Module of the Living Cybercartographic Atlas of Indigenous Perspectives and Knowledge, this atlas project continues to reflect the comprehensiveness and multidimensionality of Robinson Huron Treaty–based relationship processes. The article focuses on some of the performative aspects of this atlas project, such as iterative processes and spatializing history, that contribute to its success in reflecting Anishinaabe perspectives and providing the basis for a richer understanding of the treaty process.

http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/w6g3677pj78rq768/?p=9c926988f5ed4253a52ef2ac0781e641&pi=2

DOI: 10.3138/carto.47.2.92

Mapping Dreams/Dreaming Maps: Bridging Indigenous and Western Geographical Knowledge

Irène Hirt

Dreams and dreaming practices are integrated into knowledge-building processes in many indigenous societies, and may therefore represent a source of geographical and cartographic information. This article addresses the incorporation of these practices into collaborative and cross-cultural research methods, especially in the framework of participatory mapping projects conducted with Indigenous communities or organizations. The author argues that dreams and dreaming practices enable the consideration of Indigenous territorial dimensions – such as the sacred and the spiritual, as well as the presence of non-human actors – that are more difficult to grasp through the social sciences or through modern Western mapping methodologies. In addition, this approach invites geographers and cartographers to adopt a culturally decentred concept of the notions of territory, mapping, and participation that goes beyond the positivist premises of Western science and its research methodologies. This text draws from a Mapuche counter-mapping and participatory mapping experience that took place in southern Chile between 2004 and 2006, in which the author took part as a cartographer.

http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/m68876522r03ul2l/?p=9c926988f5ed4253a52ef2ac0781e641&pi=3

DOI: 10.3138/carto.47.2.105

Deconstructing the Conservancy Map: Hxaro, N!ore, and Rhizomes in the Kalahari

Saskia Vermeylen, Gemma Davies, Dan van der Horst

To stand a chance of reclaiming their pre-colonial rights, indigenous peoples often have to deploy the tools and logic of the colonial state. Through a case study of community conservancy in Namibia, we demonstrate that the same holds for the practice of participatory mapping. We engage with J.B. Harley's deconstruction of maps and use our ethnographic data to reveal the silences and lies inherent in the rigid cartographic representations of conservancy maps. The indigenous peoples in our case study are the San, who have been marginalized and displaced from their land. We highlight how these people, once perceived by the colonialists as “rootless,” do have strong relational connections across the landscape. We argue that the practice of counter-mapping, along with its critique, is incomplete without full attention to the silences of the map and the relational rhizomes (across boundaries) of the peoples involved.

http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/w20871572mgk7575/?p=9c926988f5ed4253a52ef2ac0781e641&pi=4

DOI: 10.3138/carto.47.2.121

Reviews of Books & Atlases

http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/v73243n2576u2651/?p=9c926988f5ed4253a52ef2ac0781e641&pi=5

DOI: 10.3138/carto.47.2.135

Cartographica

Cartographica delivers cutting-edge international research in all aspects of cartography (including the production, design, use, cognitive understanding, and history of maps), geovisualization, and GIScience. Cartographica offers unprecidented diversity and breadth of research and has featured the work of influential authors such as J.B. Harley, Mark Monmonier, Mark Kumler, Denis Wood, Muki Haklay, and David Mark.  In addition to publishing peer-reviewed articles, the journal also publishes both special issues and single-topic monographs on a regular basis.

Cartographica Online includes the complete archive of current and previously published articles going back to 1964 (issue 1.1), when Cartographica was known as The Cartographer. More than a thousand articles, reviews, and commentaries await you at this comprehensive resource.

Subscribers to Cartographica Online enjoy:

Enhanced features not available in the print version - supplementary information, colour photos, videos, audio files, etc. encouraging further exploration and research.

Early access to the latest issues - Did you know that most online issues are available to subscribers up to two weeks in advance of the print version? Sign up for e-mail alerts and you will know as soon as the latest issue is ready for you to read.

Cartographica anytime, anywhere, on any device! - experience everything Cartographica Online has to offer from your desktop and mobile devices. Cartographica also has a new mobile ready edition which allows you to read Cartographica on your desktop and on many popular mobile devices including iPhone, iPad, Blackberry Playbook, Torch and Android.

Everything you need at your fingertips - search through current and archived issues from the comfort of your office chair not by digging through book shelves or storage boxes. The easy to use search function allows you to organize results by article summaries, abstracts or citations and bookmark, export, or print a specific page, chapter or article.

For more information about Cartographica or Cartographica Online or for submissions information, please contact

University of Toronto Press — Journals Division
5201 Dufferin St., Toronto, ON,
Canada M3H 5T8
tel: (416) 667-7810 fax: (416) 667-7881
email: [log in to unmask]