On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM, David V. Smith <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Be careful when you have more than one input per subject in your
> group-level model. If I understand previous posts on this issue, you can
> only make valid inferences on the within-subject factor:
> https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=fsl;eb928af2.1112

This is correct. Only the time effects can evaluated. This means any
comparisons between time points. Because time*group is a time effect, then
it can properly be evaluated. The limitation is that randomise can not
properly randomise the time*group contrasts, so you can only use OLS.

> With two time points per subject, one solution would be to subtract the
> cope images (e.g., t2-t1) and then feed the difference images into
> randomize (https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=fsl;bef2e9e.1204).
> Aside from ignoring the middle time point (e.g., t3-t1), I'm not sure what
> you would do with three time points per subject.

This is correct. Randmise could also test group differences at each time
point AND the average of all three time points.

In summary, you need several models to do the between-subject testing and
one test to evaluate the within-subject effects.