You might find Annie Randall's book on Dusty Springfield useful. She writes specifically about Dusty as a camp icon, and has done some very interesting work with online fan communities, and on Dusty
as an icon for drag queens.

________________________________
 From: "Click, Melissa A." <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 June 2012, 17:23
Subject: Fans and Identification

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a project I'm working on. I'm looking for studies about fans' identification with their fan-objects (in my case, a celebrity). Specifically, I am having trouble locating studies that (a) examine how disenfranchised or marginalized fans identify with celebrities (or characters) and subsequently build emotional ties or (b) examine how fans imbue a particular celebrity (or character) with maternal or mentor-like qualities.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Melissa

--
Melissa A. Click, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor