I love the online calculator at KT Clearinghouse (Canada), it’s great for newbies who just need to figure out the ARR and NNT when an article reports only the odds ratio, or the PPV when the article only gives specificity, etc.  However, it only works with categorical data.  I’m wondering if there’s anything similarly basic for continuous data?  For example, so that when an article gives the standard mean difference but doesn’t report confidence intervals, the user can calculate the latter (e.g., to more adequately assess the power of an equivalence trial or the precision of a reported effect size).  I’ve found lots of calculators where you can put in the raw data, but I really need one where they can just plug in the means and standard deviations of the two groups, which articles almost always provide.  Any ideas?  (Dimension Research used to have a great one, but they recently took the site down.)

Teresa Benson, MA, LP

Clinical Lead, Evidence-Based Medicine

McKesson Health Solutions
18211 Yorkshire Ave