The other thing that works as part of this process and significantly contributes to making an image that other people are pleased with, is as I draw to use a compositional rule as the guiding factor for the drawing. An example of this is a series where my rule was to 'keep the viewers eye engaged in the image' (in the style of old paintings).
So as I drew I was continually thinking of ways to keep the viewer looking at the image. And I used the compositional rule of threes/triangles. I found this, along with my usual process, significantly helped to make the drawing look like a finished image to other people, which in turn made me feel better. I like lots of drawing but I know other people prefer certain types, so it pleased me to know that someone other than me might like my drawing, if I used triangulation and 'keeping the viewers eye on the image'.