Hi Dale,
Tina is right. It is extremely difficult to limit the definitions of disability and impairment.  You will end up in a 'rabbit hole' with so many exists and turns that you lose the focus of what you are trying to do.

But from a PhD perspective, your supervisors are right to suggest you limit your research to people with vision impairments.  It makes it more manageable for a PhD and stops you from going off on tangents.  The fact you have a sight impairment makes it even more relevant because you have personal experience.

Limiting your area means that you can really focus down and unpick huge areas of policy, you can also do international policy comparisons and even do a discourse analysis of different policies.

Or you could engage with qualitative research; an ethnography or narrative study with people who are sight impaired and see if policy is rhetoric, or if it omits areas that are important for people with sight impairments.

What you perhaps need to do is have a read around the existing research and decide what the research question may be and this will sharpen your focus.  If you feel that you are not really interested in the area then it is the time to pick another area.  Advice is keep the area as small and tightly focused as possible, that way you become the expert in the field, and it is manageable.  It is easy to become overwhelmed with a PhD because it is too ambitious a project.

Hope this helps,
Jan