This is indeed an important question and as Hazel has identified goes far wider than the subject of Disability Research.  Can I for example as a women truly understand the experience of men  in a maternity unit or as a white academic understand the position of a black academic.  Do I believe anybody can truly understand the position of another - No - but I do  believe that maintaining a critical dialogue and giving voice to this dilemma as both non disabled and disabled researchers does at least make transparent the limitations of our endeavors.As a doctoral student at the early write up stage the question of the legitimacy of my research and my role has taxed me.