"I am putting these questions out there because as I'm currently going
through compiling a report we conducted locally, I find myself asking
whether I may be, indeed 'hijacking' the voices of participants in the
process of interpreting the data. And, even if I'm a disabled person
myself, whether I risk imposing my own values about disability and my
identity as a disabled person within the interpretation of results."

This is a question far broader than disability studies, but highly
relevant to disability studies because of its nature; how far can anyone
ever be said to represent anyone else, and who gets to decide, and on what
criteria.  Within disability studies I once read an introduction to
someone's piece of work stating that although all the respondents were
physically disabled (including the writer), she also considered that the
views of people with learning disabilities were somehow there by
implication by their membership of the wider disability community.  To
which the obvious question is "how do you know if you didn't ask?"  But
even if she had asked, how far is the view of any part representative of a
whole; as a left handed woman who likes climbing mountains, how far do I
represent left handed women who like climbing mountains?  And if I am a
member of a group whose voices aren't normally heard, then on one hand I
might be seen as a representative spokesperson for the group, but actually
if anything I am unrepresentative; a minority voice in a group whose
majority isn't normally heard.

So absolutely disability research can't possibly be emancipatory unless it
is controlled by people with disabilities.  But at the same time, is there
a danger that research might be "emancipatory" for the individuals
controlling it, and yet still potentially exploitative/disempowering of
others whose voices weren't heard?

Hazel