Folks:

A bit of an update, then down to business.

We're anticipating that the recording of the Thursday meetings in London
(April 26th, 2012) will become available within the next week or so. The
Seminar will be up soon after that.  Apologies for the delay, but the
volunteers doing the work are busy people, and scheduling of editing
facilities can be difficult.

I'm going to propose a couple of work items based on the discussions we've
been having in this venue and in London, with an eye to getting some
additional conversations going (and commitments made) prior to the summer
hiatus. Keep in mind that I'm putting these out as proposals, and would
really welcome suggestions, comments, arguments, etc.  This is not a
one-woman show, I know I'm talking to a very knowledgeable group, and I'm
not going to be happy with silence!  In London we had two major topics on
our agenda, but as those of you who were present can attest (and the rest
will see when the recordings are available), there was a great deal of
wide-ranging discussion once the topics were introduced. I'm going to try
to reflect those discussions in these proposals, but I welcome other views
of what I may have misinterpreted, left out, or poorly explained.

My proposals for Task Groups are as follows:

Work Item 1: Develop plan for a set of best practice guidelines around
vocabulary evaluation, selection, and re-use. Many of the relevant
questions around these processes were articulated at the Special session in
The Hague [1], and the Task Group's responsibility is to use these
discussions to set up an outline for needed best practices documentation,
as well as reviewing, evaluating and annotating any extant guidelines now
available (particularly those consulted in their work). This group should
be prepared to submit a discussion draft for the plan and outline to this
group (preferably on the wiki) by the end of this calendar year, and a
fully articulated plan and outline by the following Spring (March 31st?).
The model I have in mind is the best practices guidelines for OAI Data
Providers [2], which had a considerable number of participants (and as many
opinions) but still resulted in useful and coherent documentation, but
there are certainly others worth consulting.

Work Item 2: Examine and articulate the issues around vocabulary
sustainability and preservation and what role DCMI should play in this
area. In a sense, sustainability is one of the criteria for evaluating
vocabularies for use, but in a larger sense it's a critical issue for both
vocabulary owners and the larger metadata community. At the London meeting,
Bernard Vatant discussed some of his work, including an idea for a
Vocabulary Commons, also featured in several of his blog posts. [3] [4] [5]
For this item, we ask the Task Group to follow up on these ideas and
initial discussions, and lead a discussion in this community intended to
result in a recommendation for action by DCMI.

Work Item 3: Develop a set of best practices for extending vocabularies for
local use. One of the common problems we find when looking around at
metadata using DC is that implementers have little guidance about what to
do when they wish to extend DC or use DC terms in conjunction with local
terms. The resulting documentation could be part of the user documentation
currently being updated. [6]

[1]
http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/DC-2011_Vocabulary_Special_Session/Meeting_Report
[2] http://webservices.itcs.umich.edu/mediawiki/oaibp/index.php/Main_Page
[3] http://blog.hubjects.com/2012/03/lov-stories-part-1-commons.html
[4] http://blog.hubjects.com/2012/03/lov-stories-part-2-gardeners-and.html
[5] http://blog.hubjects.com/2012/04/lov-stories-part-3-vocabularies-as.html
[6] http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/User_Guide

Please some feedback! (And if you want to volunteer for something, feel
free to discuss a possible role off-list)

Regards,
Diane